The Hounds of Boxerville

Thomas and I were invited by Mark and Sue Pepe to join a group of letterboxers for a Pinecone Adventure to Dartmoor. This is the third Pinecone Adventure to the Moors and our first. We are so incredibly happy and honored to be traveling with this group to the birthplace of letterboxing. Our trip takes place from August 28 - September 11, 2014. This blog will chronicle the trip as well as activities before and after the trip.

Pinecone Adventures Returns to the Moor with The Hounds of Boxerville.

The road in front of us grew bleaker and wilder over huge russet and olive slopes, sprinkled with giant boulders. Now and then we passed a moorland cottage, walled and roofed with stone, with no creeper to break its harsh outline.
- from The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Monday, September 1, 2014

A Foggy and Rainy Day

This morning we woke up to a heavy fog and a light drizzle. We moved slowly as we showered and got dressed since we didn't need to be ready until 10:30am. After getting dressed I spent some time on the computer until it was time for breakfast. Today I had toast, scrambled eggs, sausage and beans. And my usual coffee. Once Thomas and I were done eating we went and got our lunches made and then it was just waiting for the day to begin. Thomas decided to go back to the room and read while I sat on the couch and looked at a couple of Dartmoor magazines that the letterboxers brought over last night. While I was reading Mark P. came over and told me that he had talked to Roger last night and he got us permission to drive on the military road and park so that we can do the walk to Cranmere Pool on Friday. I am excited about this but with that I also have some trepidation. Most of the group had decided that they didn't want to do this walk because of the bogs and how hard it was to get to Duck's Pool. I also feel like Mark P. has worked very hard to arrange this trip and I just added a lot of stress on him to arrange this. I have to say that I am happy that we are going out there and I really hope the rest of the group is as well.


As the morning progressed so did the rain - it didn't pour but the drizzle got more intense. Our plan this morning was to walk with Mark from Blackadon and get some letterboxes and learn some history of the moor. Thomas and I decided that we didn't want to get that wet and opted (with about six other people) to stay back at the cottages. We ended up napping, reading and playing on the computer. I am glad we didn't go on the hike as everyone who did came back soaked. They were out there for over two hours. Once everyone had dried off we all sat and had lunch and decided on a plan for the afternoon. Originally Mark from Blackadon was going to take us on a coastal walk but with the fog it wouldn't be prudent. So instead we ended up visiting the Dartmoor Prison Museum in Princetown. We walked around the musuem and then got a few letterbox stamps before heading into town. I walked the short distance so I could stop at the church (Church of St. Michael) for another letterbox while Thomas drove one of the vans. At the church I stamped the stamp into my logbook and the looked around the church. They just installed a new stain glass window that is beautiful. Afterwards I walked around the cemetery outside the church and took a few pictures before heading into town.
I made my way to the Dartmoor Visitor Center to pick up a few things and then went to find Thomas and the rest of the group. Then we all headed over to the Plume of Feathers for dinner. I ended up with fish and chips and a Jail Ale pint. Thomas had a beef and stilton cheese pot pie. We also got a few letterbox stamps here as well. Once everyone was done with dinner we headed back to the cottages. I think the cold, damp, rainy, foggy day took its toll on everyone because as soon as we got back to the cottages everyone made tracks straight for their rooms. Again I am not sure what we are doing tomorrow but I know we have to be up and ready by 8:30am.

No comments :