The Hounds of Boxerville

Thomas and I were invited by Mark and Sue Pepe to join a group of letterboxers for a Pinecone Adventure to Dartmoor. This is the third Pinecone Adventure to the Moors and our first. We are so incredibly happy and honored to be traveling with this group to the birthplace of letterboxing. Our trip takes place from August 28 - September 11, 2014. This blog will chronicle the trip as well as activities before and after the trip.

Pinecone Adventures Returns to the Moor with The Hounds of Boxerville.

The road in front of us grew bleaker and wilder over huge russet and olive slopes, sprinkled with giant boulders. Now and then we passed a moorland cottage, walled and roofed with stone, with no creeper to break its harsh outline.
- from The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Preparations Are Done and It Is Time To Go

Tonight we are headed to the Sunport to begin our journey to Dartmoor. After preparing for almost a year it is finally time to go. I can't describe how excited I am about this trip. It is something I have been thinking about since I began letterboxing 8 years ago. Up to now I have been posting once a month to document the preparations for this trip. Now that the trip is here I am going to post daily on what we do and where we go. The first part of the trip will be in Dartmoor and then Thomas and I are staying in Brighton and London for a few more days after Dartmoor and I am going to try and write something each day.
During the last year I tried to getting things done so that I wasn't having a large 'To Do' list right before we left. So I have to say that August was a pretty easy month for planning, organizing and packing. I did make a logbook/journal for this trip - which I am very happy with - it came out great. Also during the month we added things we needed to take on the trip that we didn't need now to our packing area. So that made it easy to actually see what we had and keep track of things as well as getting things packed.

Other last minute things I did was to go to AAA and get some British Pounds so that when we get to England we are ready and don't have to worry about changing money. I also called Verizon and added a UK calling plan for the two weeks we will be there. And I printed out a few letterbox clues for our time in London - I didn't get many because there are a lot of things we want to do so we probably won't have a lot of time to letterbox at the end of the trip.

We are ready for this trip and are excited about the visit to Dartmoor. The next time I post we will be in England and hopefully relaxing and having fun. All the plans and packing fell easily into place and it is making me a little uneasy - I hope I haven't forgotten anything - oh well, it's too late now. We will just have to do without or go shopping if we need anything. Here is to another adventure.

No comments :